Xiaomi sub-brand Redmi is gearing up for the launch of a new budget smartphone. The company is likely to launch a new number series smartphone later this month. While the name of the device has not been revealed, Xiaomi and Redmi officials have been uploading teaser videos that hint the launch of the Redmi 12. Another teaser uploaded via the official Redmi India Twitter account reveals the rear panel design of the upcoming device. These teasers do suggest that the Redmi 12 is coming to India very soon.
Xiaomi has already launched the Redmi 12 in some global markets. The device is a 4G smartphone and will likely be priced at around Rs 12,000 in India. Let’s take a look at the Redmi 12 expected price in India, specifications and other details ahead of its launch.
Redmi 12 India Launch: What You Need to Know
The Redmi 12 will be Xiaomi’s yet another budget smartphone offering under Rs 15,000 in India. The phone is likely to launch in July. Xiaomi has teased the India debut of the phone without revealing the launch date. The latest teaser also confirms the rear panel design of the upcoming Redmi phone, which shows three circular cutouts on the back for the triple-camera setup. The phone also has a USB Type-C port and a speaker grille at the bottom edge.
Also, the Redmi 12’s teaser video shows the phone’s Polar Silver colour option launched in Thailand. Xiaomi is likely to launch the phone in three colour options, which are available for purchase in Thailand already. These will likely be in the shades of Midnight Black, Sky Blue and Silver.
— Redmi India (@RedmiIndia) July 9, 2023
The device’s 8GB RAM option was launched in Thailand for TBH 5,299 (roughly Rs 12,400). It also has lower storage trims with 4GB and 6GB of RAM and up to 256GB of storage. We can expect the company to launch the Redmi 12 India variant with at least 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage. The device will also likely be available with 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. Since it is a budget offering, the phone has a slot for storage expansion of up to 1TB via a microSD card.
Redmi 12: Specifications and Features
The Redmi 12 has a slightly flat frame design. The phone features a tall display with a hole-punch cutout, a side-mounted fingerprint scanner and a triple-camera setup on the back. The display has a fairly thick chin bezel. It also features a MediaTek SoC under the hood. There is support for 33W fast charging as well.
- Display: 6.79-inch display with a Full HD+ resolution of 2460 x 1080 pixels and 396 PPI pixel density. The screen is claimed to offer up to 550 nits brightness and a 70 per cent colour gamut. It also offers support for a 90Hz refresh rate.
- Processor: MediaTek Helio G88 SoC with Mali-G52 GPU.
- RAM/ Storage: Up to 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage (Thailand).
- Battery and fast charging: 5000mAh battery with 33W fast charging.
- Rear camera: 50MP primary camera, 8MP ultra-wide camera and a 2MP macro sensor.
- Front camera: 8MP.
- Software: Android 13-based MIUI 14.
- Other specs: Side-mounted fingerprint scanner, IP53 rating, AI face unlock, 3.5mm headphone jack, etc.