An American actor, Matthew Broderick is in the media spotlight after playing the role of Michael McPhee in the movie, Max Dugan Returns in 1983. His appearance as Prince Henry in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off made him receive a nomination for Golden Globe Awards.
He received Tony Award as Best Featured Actor for his role in the movie, Brighton Beach Memoirs in 1983. He is best recognized for his appearance in movies like WarGames, Glory, The Freshman, The Cable Guy, and Godzilla.
Early Life of Matthew Broderick
Matthew Broderick was born on March 21, 1962. He is a native of Manhattan, New York, United States. Currently, he is 61 years old and his sun sign is Aries. His parents are James Broderick (father) and Patricia Broderick (mother). James died due to cancer in 1982 and Patricia also died of cancer on November 18, 2003.
His father was an actor while Patricia was a playwright and painter. He spent his childhood with his siblings named Janet Broderick Kraft and Martha Broderick. His maternal aunt is Adet Lin who works as a novelist and translator. Janet works as a minister.
His paternal grandparents are James Joseph Broderick and Mary Elizabeth May Martindale while Milton Harry Biow and Sophie Taub are his maternal grandparents. His nationality is American and he is of Irish, one-quarter English, and Ashkenazi Jewish ethnicity. He is a Christian. He studied at Walden School, and City & Country School. Then, he studied acting at HB Studio.
Matthew Broderick and Sarah’s Married Life
He is married to his wife, Sarah Jessica Parker. Sarah is also an actress and she met Matthew for the very first time through her brothers, Pippin and Toby in November 1991. They dated each other secretly and even did a play together named, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.
Then, they exchanged the wedding knot in an Episcopal ceremony officiated by his sister, Janet on 19th May 1997.
His Past Relationships
He dated an actress, Jennifer Grey from 1987 to 1988. They started dating each other after meeting on the set of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off in 1986.
In 1986, he was in a relationship with Helen Hunt, an actress. He dated Daisy Foote from 1985 to 1986. Matthe was also rumored with Kyra Sedgwick and Lili Taylor. He had an affair with his co-star, Penelope Ann Miller at the set of Biloxi Blues in 1985.
Matthew Broderick, Father of Three
He became a father of twins and a son with his wife, Sarah. His son, James Wilke was born on October 28, 2002. They gave birth to twins via surrogate and their names are Marion Broderick and Tabitha Broderick on June 22, 2009.
Matthew Broderick’s Net Worth & Assets
Matthew has a net worth of $200 million as of 2023 which he earned through his professional career. He received an annual salary of $100k from The Producers.
He and his wife paid $18.995 million for a house in New York City in March 2011. They also have two houses worth $6.6 million in the Hamptons neighborhood of Amagansett. Some of the brands he is endorsed with are Biography Channel, The United Way, and The New York Times newspaper.
Matthew Broderick’s Car Accident
He had a car accident when he was driving a BMW 316 on Tempo Road outside Tempo, Northern Ireland on August 5, 1987. After crossing the wrong lane he collided with a Volvo and killed Anna Gallagher and her mother, Margaret Doherty on the spot. He had fractured leg and ribs, a concussion, and a collapsed lung. He received the charges of dangerous driving and was sentenced to 5 years of lifetime in prison and £100 fine.
Professional Career of Matthew Broderick
- He stepped into acting by appearing in plays and was only 17 years old when he played in the play, On Valentine’s Day.
- In 1981, he grabbed the role to play in Torch Song Trilogy.
- He appeared as Eugene Jerome in the play, Brighton Beach Memoirs in 1982.
- In 1983, he made his movie debut by playing in the drama, Max Dugan Returns.
- He landed the role of a thief in the adventure film, Ladyhawke in 1985.
- He also lent his voice to the animated movie, The Lion King in 1994.
- In 1990, he played the role of a student in the movie, The Freshman.
- He portrayed the role of Hally Ballard in the series, Master Harold…and the Boys in 1984.
Movies & TV Shows
He played in movies like Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Torch Song Trilogy, Family Business, The Night We Never Met, Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle, The Lion King II: Simba’s Pride, and The Gettysburg Address. His role is prominent in series like Faerie Tale Theatre, Saturday Night Live, Untitled Tad Quill Project, A Christmas Story Live!, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, and Painkiller.
Awards & Nominations
- He received the awards like Drama Desk Awards, Outer Critics Circle, Drama Desk Awards, Golden Globe Award, Screen Actors Guild Award, and Tribeca Film Festival.
- Matthew won two Tony Awards in nomination for Best Actor in a Musical, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, and Brighton Beach Memoirs.
- In 1994, he received a nomination for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor – Limited Series or Movie, A Life in the Theatre.
- In 2013, he also received a nomination for Best Musical Theater Album, Nice Work If You Can Get It at the Grammy Awards.
FAQs of Matthew Broderick
How tall is Matthew Broderick?
Matthew has a perfect height of 5 feet 8 inches along with a body weight of 78 kg. His body measurement is 44-15-35 inches and has brown hair color and eye color is also brown. He wears a shoe size of 10 (US).
Is Matthew Broderick related to Beth Broderick, James Broderick & Betty Broderick?
No, Matthew is not related to Beth and Betty Broderick. They share the same surname and are from the same industry but aren’t connected. He is related to James and he is his son.
Is Matthew Broderick left-handed?
Yes, Matthew is left-handed. He is a successful movie and tv actor and has played in numerous movies.